Cognascents is looking for a Senior Process Safety Engineer. A minimum of 15 years of relevant experience is expected for this role. An engineering degree is preferred. Individuals without an engineering degree will be considered and evaluated based on their work experience.
Essential Job Function:
The Senior Process Safety Engineer will be required to read and develop technical and engineering related deliverables. Tasks that may need to be carried out by the engineer are as follows:
- Pressure relief and flare header design and analysis – design of new pressure relief systems and/or resolve existing pressure relief system inadequacies;
- Process simulation – steady state or dynamic, for oil and gas, petrochemical and pharmaceutical industries, using Aspen Plus®, HYSYS, Symmetry, Pro/II, etc.;
- Integrate process simulation with pressure relief design and P&IDs;
- Guide and develop junior engineers and provide Quality Assurance of project deliverables;
- Read and interpret P&IDs, equipment datasheets, Cause and Effect charts, SAFE charts, Instrument diagrams, etc.;
- Perform Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), and take part in facilitation and execution of PHAs at plant and engineering design level (HAZOP, LOPA, What-if, FMEA, HAZID);
- Be client-facing, having a proven record of building and maintaining positive and professional client relationships; and
- Understand and comply with all Cognascents and client safety procedures that govern the work being performed.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering from an accredited college or university;
- Candidate should be local and live in Houston, Texas or Chicago, Illinois area;
- Minimum of 15 years of process safety or chemical engineering experience in any combination of the upstream, downstream, LNG, and specialty chemicals industries;
- Proficiency in relief valve and flare system design;
- Proficiency in 3rd party process simulators and relief system management tools;
- Polished oral and written communication skills;
- Technical competence and creative problem-solving skills; and
- Strong attention to detail.
Travel requirements vary throughout the year, but no more than 30% travel is anticipated.
- Base salary;
- Medical benefits and monthly wellness allowance;
- Simple IRA savings plan;
- Paid volunteer time; and
- 9/80 work schedule.
Cognascents is an established multi-disciplinary engineering organization with expertise across the energy and chemical spectrums.
For over a decade, we have provided process engineering, process safety, risk management, asset integrity, and technical business solutions. We work with leading organizations by perpetually seeking ways to address their technical challenges and leveraging our deep functional and industry expertise. We offer insight, share perspective, and engage in ongoing dialogue to advance our industry and give back to our community.
At Cognascents, we believe that authentic awareness and relentless achievement are cardinal to the pursuit of integrity, balance, and transcendence. We pledge unwavering loyalty to our employees, clients, and community and strive for the greatest familial, patriotic, societal, and environmental relevance.